Wednesday, July 10, 2013

36 Hours Without A Cigarette, After 25+ Years..

I have smoked over 1/2 of my life. When I was 16 years old I started smoking because the state of Wisconsin allowed me to. I mean that too, because THEY allowed me to.. While I was in a adolescent lock-up I was accused of smoking, when I was not. I still to this day insist I never smoked once prior to their accusations. I was 13 years old and in serious trouble for the 1st time in my life. In WI at 13 you could not legally smoke cigarettes in the 1980's but in the legal system, they had different rules..

I could never understand looking back to my life then, why the state allowed kids to smoke cigarettes. If I recall correctly, they were allowing kids underage to smoke. As if the rules were different back then.. I wish I knew then how hard it would be now to quit. The urge is there but I've made up my mind to quit again..

This will be the 2nd time I've quit, the first was about 15 years ago. I started back up after dating then marrying someone who smoked. I didn't have the will power to overcome the smell and urge to take a puff. I can only hope I have what it takes now. She said she won't smoke in the house and I really hope she can continue to do that. I think the power of the mind has much to do with how you live. I think I can just stop smoking and be done with it. When I stopped before, I didn't smoke for over a year. At 40 years old, I just want to be sure I see my kids grow up.

While there seems to be so many people to blame, in the end it comes down to me. I am the person in control of my own life and the only one that can be blamed for picking up that first cigarette. I am also the only person who can put down that last cigarette and never touch another. The support of others is a big boost, but ultimately it comes down to myself...

I can do it, I know I can..

If you want to offer support, come see my facebook to do so.. See My Fan Page

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Glad you've decided to quit (not saying "try to quit," but "quit"). You'll be a much happier person in the end. Now if you can just convince your wife to do the same....

    ReplyDelete